Thank you for your interest in applying for the Walter C. Wattles Fellowship at Lloyd’s of London.
- Applicants must be female graduating seniors (graduating in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019) from Vanderbilt University.
- Applicants must have a current US Passport or proof of application at the first interview. International students with a current Visa may also apply.
- Information regarding applying or renewing a passport may be found at http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
- Forms may be picked up and applications presented at: the Acklen Post Office in Hillsboro Village. Your passport may take 4-6 weeks to receive so this should be an immediate priority. Passport pictures can be made at: FedEx (327-2120), 2308 W End Ave. and Walgreens, 3010 West End Ave.
- The Walter C. Wattles Fellowship at Lloyd’s of London is awarded each academic year to graduating senior women from Vanderbilt University.
- This Fellowship offers its participants a unique opportunity to live and work in London, England for 1 year and gain experience in the global insurance market. The skills acquired through the Fellowship have proven to be transferable into other industries, such as banking, law, international consulting, education, government, media, management programs, medicine, and a continued career in insurance.
- Upon completion of the program, each Fellow is a qualified and well-rounded employee for future job opportunities as a result of her experience in London.
Selection of Fellowship Recipients
- Fellowship recipients are selected by previous Fellows and Vanderbilt alumni with experience in the insurance industry.
- In evaluating the applicants, the committee will consider the applicants’ academic achievements or records, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, work experience and essay content.
- Each applicant will participate in a brief preliminary interview and, if selected to continue the process, will be asked to attend a social reception and a final interview.
- Three recipients and one alternate will be chosen following the final interview.
Responsibilities of Recipients
If selected, the Fellowship recipient must accept the position at one of the firms affiliated with the Fellowship and complete the necessary processes to obtain a work permit and UK Visa.
Fellowship participants receive a small salary, housing and health care while in London. However, as a result of the exchange rate, high cost of living in London, and the opportunity for travel, an income subsidy from home is recommended.
Applications accepted September 5 – September 24, 2018.
Under no circumstances will extensions be granted.
Many of your questions will be answered by visiting our FAQ page.
Specific questions about the Fellowship should be directed to Anne Riegle, a past participant, at email@example.com.